Full Form Of MBBS
The Full form of MBBS is Bachelor Of Medicine, Bachelor Of Surgery.
MBBS In Latin - Medicinae Baccalaureus Baccalaureus
Meaning Of MBBS
MBBS is two medical degree ( Bachelor Of Medicine, Bachelor Of Surgery ) which is awarded by the medical schools, colleges or universities for the successful graduation of a practitioner or a student in that course.
Equivalent Medical Degrees ( MD and DO )
Full form of MD or Full form of MD in doctor or MD full form is
- Doctor Of Medicine.
Full form of DO or Full form of DO in doctor or DO Full form is
- Doctor Of Osteopathic Medicine.
Course duration of MBBS is of 5.5 years, in which 4.5 years is of academic education and compulsory 1 year of internship. And it is a graduation level degree.
Eligibility Of MBBS
The eligibility criteria of the course is, student have to pass the 10+2 examination with atleast 50% marks in physics, biology and chemistry with english language. And age between 17 years ( lower limit ) to 25 years ( upper limit ).
Different colleges and universities have different cut offs for admissions, but the average for general category candidates is 50% and average cut off for ST/SC candidates is 40%.
Admission process of MBBS is done through an entrance exam by filling a form online. Usually all entrance exams are conducted between May and June ( i.e after 10+2 Board results ). Because 10+2 board results are most important for the admission.
And online form filling process starts mainly in the ending of January.
Entrance Exam Structure Of MBBS
The mode of entrance exam is Objective type test ( MCQs ) which is done online as well as offline, which do have negetive markings for wrong answers. Different exams have different markings schemes.
List Of Entrance Exams are -
- NEET - Full form of NEET is National Edibility cum Entrance Test.
- AIIMS - Full form of AIIMS is All India Institute Of Medical Science.
- JIPMER - Full Form of JIPMER is Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research.
- PGIMER - Full form of PGIMER is Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research.
- FMGE - Full form of FMGE is Foreign Medical Graduates Examination.
- AIPVT - Full form of AIPVT is All India Pre Vetenery Test.
After the declaration of entrance exams results the candidates are called for counselling according to there marks that they scored in the entrance as well as in 10+2 exams.
The examination type for MBBS is semester based examination which consists 9 semesters conducted in interval of every 6 months for 4.5 years.
Syllabus of MBBS degree are-
For Pre Clinical (1st and 2nd Semesters )- Anatomy, Biochemistry, Physiology.
For Para Clinical ( 3rd, 4th and 5th Semesters )-
Community Medicine, Forensic Medicine, Pathology, Pharmacology, Microbiology, Clinical postings, OPDs.
and For Clinical ( 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Semesters )-
Community medicine and allied subjects (Psychiatry, Dermatology), Obstetrics and Gynecology, Pediatrics, Surgery and allied subjects, Clinical postings.
And it also consist 1 year of Internship
- Medical - 1.5 months
- Surgery - 1.5 months
- Rural - 3 months
- Pediatrics - 1 month
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology - 1month
- Casualty - 1 month
- Anesthesiology - 15 days
- Ophthalmology - 15 days
- Elective - 2 months
Subjects Of MBBS
This is the list of subjects in this course which are -
- Human Anatomy
- General Medicine
- Human physiology including biophysics
- Introduction to Humanities and community medicine
- Dermatology and sexually Transmitted Diseases
- Ear, Nose, and Throat
- Forensic medicine including toxicology
- General medicine
- General surgery
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery Specializations.
Top Colleges For MBBS In India With Locations
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences - New Delhi
- Christian Medical College - Vellore
- Armed Forces Medical College - Pune
- Kasturba Medical College - Mangalore
- Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research - Pondicherry
- Lady Hardinge Medical College - New Delhi
- King George’s Medical University - Lucknow
- Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Researce - Chennai.
- Seth GS Medical College - Mumbai
- Institute of Medical Sciences - Varanasi
- Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences - Wardha
- Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research - Kolkata
MBBS Course Fees
Well the course fees of MBBS is varies for different colleges and Universities in India, as different college and university has different fees structures, but it always lies between ₹50,000 to ₹10 Lakhs.
Job Positions Of MBBS Candidates
- Junior doctors
- Junior Surgeons
- Medical Professor or Lecturer
Salary Of Doctor In India
The salary of a doctor in India is depends upon the candidate's knowledge and his/her experience, but the average starting salary of a MBBS degree holder is around ₹25,000 to ₹35,000/- and he/she gets good experience than he/she may earns upto 10 - 15 Lakhs per annum.
Scope Of MBBS
A degree holder who completed the degree from reputed college or university may get interesting job offers and opportunities form big companies or hospitals. Or they may open their self individual clinics. Because the field of Medicine and Surgery is always on demand.
FAQs Regarding MBBS -
Q - What is a MBBS doctor?MBBS is two medical degree ( Bachelor Of Medicine, Bachelor Of Surgery ) which is awarded by the medical schools, colleges or universities for the successful graduation of a practitioner or a student in that course.
Q - What is the difference between a MBBS and MD?Well MD is a post graduate degree which is done after MBBS and MBBS is required to be done to get MD degree. And MBBS is a graduation degree which is done after 10+2 examination.
Q - Can MBBS doctor do surgery?Yes, as it is a bachelor degree in surgery, No one can stop a MBBS doctor to perform a surgery.
Q - Is an MBBS equivalent to an MD?Countries like UK, India Ireland and many other countries it is considered as equivalent to MD.
And In US, Canada and other it can be persued after completing an undergraduate degree.
Q - What does MBBS after a doctors name mean?It means that doctor has completed the MBBS degree ( Bachelor Of Medicine, Bachelor Of Surgery ).
Q - How can I become a MBBS doctor?To become an MBBS doctor you must complete 10+2 in science stream with 50℅ marks in physics, biology and chemistry in english language. Then you have to pass entrance exams like ( AIIMS, NEET etc ) to be eligible foe MBBS admission.
So, this was a detailed guide if you are planning to become a MBBS doctor, if you have a queries regarding the same feel free to ask.